Wednesday, April 23, 2014

TOW 24: Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert (IRB)

The idea that a yearlong vacation can change someone so much is truly unbelievable. As I followed Elizabeth Gilbert on her journey from New York to Italy, to India, and finally Indonesia, I was thoroughly impressed by the gradual change you could see in her. And I felt it too. The things that she realized in the year were so insightful that they caused me to look at the world a little differently and made me think of the control I have over my own life. After Gilbert left Italy, her sarcastic tone (thankfully!) continued. Richard from Texas quickly became my favorite character when he showed up at the ashram in India, when he perfectly explained soul mates to her, saying that "a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life" (149). I believe the whole purpose of the book is not only to share a personal experience that the author underwent, but also to assist readers on their own personal journeys, while sharing what she has learned. I didn't travel anywhere while reading, but I felt like I did. One way Gilbert achieves her purpose is by speaking to herself in the book. She had many conversations with herself that make the entire ordeal more personal. "When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.” She is opening the door to her soul, he conscience and allowing complete strangers to absorb it. Through this transparency, a personal connection is made for readers, making it easier to relate to Gilbert as a person. When an author shares all the thoughts that are usually left hidden, the reader begins to trust more in what the author is saying. This connection is crucial for the understanding of life that Gilbert brings, and is reinforced throughout the book. Elizabeth Gilbert also uses rhetorical questions in her book to make the readers question their own lives. This device is great for prompting reflection in readers. This question about love made me think about society as a whole. Gilbert wrote, "people always fall in love with the most perfect aspects of each other’s personalities. Who wouldn’t? Anybody can love the most wonderful parts of another person. But that’s not the clever trick. The really clever trick is this: Can you accept the flaws? Can you look at your partner’s faults honestly and say, ‘I can work around that. I can make something out of it?' Because the good stuff is always going to be there, and it’s always going to pretty and sparkly, but the crap underneath can ruin you." Without the use of questioning, I would not have felt like the book was about me or my personal journey at all. With this device, the book became about everyone, not just Liz Gilbert. This book was one of my favorite books ever. This might sound cliche, but I see things differently than I used to, I'm more understanding of my faults and more aware of my actions. Also, I wouldn't mind a vacation to Italy, India, or Indonesia right now!

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2010/ETPLV.php

No comments:

Post a Comment